Ease of Following
The GM Diet Promise
Lose a whopping 17 pounds in just 7 days by eating healthy, with the GM Diet.
About the GM Diet
The GM diet is one of the most popular stars of the “dieting world”. Chances are that you’ve heard of this diet sometime or the other, probably because you did a double-take when you realized that the GM in “GM diet” does indeed stand for General Motors! You know, that American conglomerate that makes and sells vehicles and vehicle parts? Also known by other names such as the “Sacred Heart Diet” or the “Cabbage Soup Diet”, the General Motors diet is a 7-day diet plan that has been designed for weight loss. Turns out, fast cars that clock amazing speeds and time are not the only fast things this company manufactures. The program claims to achieve a weight loss of 10 to 17 pounds per week!
The GM diet was developed for the employees and families of General Motors Inc. in 1985, which probably clears up all questions about this very odd link! This diet was created by General Motors along with the US Department of Agriculture and the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) and it was tested at the Johns Hopkins Research Centre. The prime aim of the diet was to increase the efficiency and productivity of the GM workforce by making them healthier. After all, as the saying goes, health is wealth (which would probably explain the company’s $166.3 billion revenue as of 2016!). Anyway, the GM diet was aimed as an overall wellness and fitness program for everyone and somewhere along the way, gained the kind of phenomenal success and popularity that some of the company’s cars themselves couldn’t muster! The end result was that after following the diet, the workers at General Motors experienced greater energy levels, self-confidence and increased efficiency, leading to its spread worldwide.
The premise of the GM diet is quick weight loss, but at the same time, it encourages healthy eating. With the GM Diet, you not only lose weight but also get some much-needed bodily detoxification, cleansing your system of all impurities and thereby promoting overall health and a sense of well-being.
The best part of the diet is that it encourages you to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables when you move back to your regular eating habits and this keeps you from putting the weight back on. Following this diet not only gives you abundant energy; it also helps to put you in a better mood and leaves you feeling great!
How Does the GM Diet Work?
The GM diet is based on the belief that by eating only the recommended foods that are part of the diet plan, the body will burn more calories. The calories consumed are not equal to the calories expended and this calorie imbalance compels the body to burn the fat and prevents it from storing the fat.
The GM diet focuses on healthy eating and limits your weekly diet to eating fruits, vegetables, chicken and brown rice. The focus of the diet is consumption of complex carbs, low-calorie veggies and increased water intake. No wonder then that you can achieve a massive 17 pounds weight loss in just 7 days!
The 7-Day GM Diet Plan
Day 1, also known as the adjustment day, helps your body to adjust to the next 6 days of the diet plan, and trust us when we say that you’re going to need some heavy-duty adjustment! The objective of day 1 is to cleanse your digestive system and jump-start your metabolism, which means that on the first day, your diet should consist of only fruit and water. Which, let’s face it, isn’t “normal food” unless you’re a horse and which is why you now understand the reason behind our “heavy-duty” statement.
Rules for Day 1
- You can eat almost all fruits except bananas.
- You must drink 8-10 glasses of pure water.
- Avoid oils and fruit juices.
On the second day, you must eat only vegetables as part of your diet plan. This increases your fiber intake and helps you regulate the sugar content from all the fruits you have eaten on day 1, because though sugar may have been the perfect ingredient for the “Powerpuff Girls”, it isn’t a perfect ingredient for your body and thus needs to be balanced out.
Rules for Day 2
- You can eat any greens and vegetables (in raw, cooked or baked form).
- Limit your intake of oil as much as possible.
- You can have baked potatoes on day 2.
- Drink multiple glasses of pure water.
On day 3, you can mix the foods consumed on day 1 and day 2. You can eat almost any fruit or vegetable on day 3. It is recommended that you consume a wide variety of fruits and vegetables so that you get a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. If you’ve successfully followed the diet without cheating, you should be able to see some weight loss.
Rules for Day 3
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid eating bananas, potatoes, oils and fruit juices.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
Congratulations for making it this far! On the fourth day of the GM diet, you will eat only bananas, milk, water and a special GM soup. By eating bananas on the fourth day, you will be replenishing the potassium and sodium in the body.
Rules for Day 4
- You should eat 8-10 bananas.
- You must drink at least 3 glasses of milk.
- You can eat as much of GM soup as you wish. There is no limit on the quantity of soup intake.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid oils and fruit juice.
Day 5 of the diet is dedicated to the “love apples”, which means you get your fill of tomatoes. The tomatoes are a great source of fiber and lycopene and the lean beef is a great source of iron and protein. If you are a vegetarian, you can eat brown rice with your tomatoes, and if you are a meat lover then you can have lean meat such as beef.
Rules for Day 5
- You can eat lean meat (preferably beef) or brown rice in case of vegetarians.
- Eat at least 6-8 tomatoes (with the meat or rice).
- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water.
- Avoid oils and fruit juices.
You can eat plenty of veggies with small amounts of protein on day 6. On this day, eliminate as much of fruits and glucose as possible.
Rules for Day 6
- You can eat an unlimited amount of vegetables.
- You can eat lean meat or brown rice.
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid bread, potatoes, oils and fruit juices.
If you’ve successfully completed all 7 days of the diet, give us a moment while we “bend the knee”, oh “Conqueror of the GM Diet, Breaker of Temptations, Ruler of Perseverance, the First of Your Name”! Your perseverance could really give Cersei a run for her money. Or better yet, Jon Snow (because it takes a certain kind of willpower to remain that ignorant through 7 seasons, don’t you think? You still know nothing, Jon Snow!) Anyway, on the “grand finale” last day of the diet, the good news, apart from your now slimmer and healthier figure, is that you can eat plenty of food!
Rules for Day 7
- You can eat brown rice and plenty of vegetables along with it.
- As always, drink plenty of water.
- You can have all the fruit juices that you like on this day.
- Avoid consuming oil.
The GM Wonder Soup
Remember when we talked about the GM wonder soup in “Day 3” of the diet? Well, the GM Wonder Soup recommended as part of the diet plan can be consumed in unlimited quantities and helps to supplement your diet. The soup essentially contains water, onions, pepper, a head of cabbage, a bunch of celery, whole tomatoes (fresh or canned), onion soup mix and herbs and flavoring as desired. Honestly, compared to some of the other stuff you may have to ingest while on other diets, this soup really is a wonder because of its taste and because you can have as much of it as you want!
What’s on the Menu?
- Vegetables: Cauliflower, broccoli, tomato, cucumber, sweet potato, onion, garlic, bitter gourd, ginger, beetroot, carrot, green beans, herbs, pumpkin, spinach, asparagus, squash, bottle gourd, cabbage, capsicum, and red chillies
- Fruits: Grapefruit, guava, melon, nectarine, papaya, peach, strawberries, watermelon, rhubarb, berries, lime, lemon, apples, orange, pears, grapes, and mango
- Meat: Beef, lean chicken (skinless, boneless), white meat, and fish
- Brown rice
- Skimmed milk
- Salad Dressing: White or wine vinegar, lime juice, lemon, garlic, herbs, malt, Dijon mustard, yogurt, and olive oil (not more than 1 teaspoon)
- Beverages: Water (plain or flavored with lemon or lime), club soda, black coffee (unsweetened, no cream), and black tea (leaf or herb)
What’s off the Menu?
- Beans: Kidney, lima, and pinto
- Banana (except on day 4)
- Fruit juices (except of day 7)
- Alcoholic Beverages: Bourbon, vodka, rum, and cream drinks
- Processed Foods: Pastries, cookies, cakes, and fried foods
Advantages of the GM Diet
- Healthy Diet: The GM diet is touted as a very healthy diet as it encourages that you eat healthy foods as part of the diet plan. The fruits consumed as part of the diet plan provides your body with the fiber that is required to help in digestion and it also fills you up and you do not feel hungry. The vegetables recommended by the GM diet are full of essential vitamin and nutrients. Brown rice is low in fat and has complex carbs which are very good for your body. Chicken is low in fat and is a great source of protein that boosts the body’s metabolism and encourages fat burning1
- Fat Loss: The GM diet does not limit the amount of food you can eat, but focuses on limiting what you can or cannot eat instead. This list of recommended foods along with small, frequent meals and increased consumption of water helps to flush out the toxins from the body and helps in fat loss.
- Detoxification: Since the diet mainly involves eating plenty of vegetables and fruits and drinking a lot of water, this helps to flush out all the toxins from the body. The “detox process” not only helps you burn fat and lose weight2, it also cleanses your system and makes you experience an overall sense of well-being. The flushing out of toxins from the body also helps to enhance your complexion.
- Quick Weight Loss: The biggest “win” of the GM diet is the quick weight loss. You can lose up to 3-6 kgs in just a week!
- Short Duration: As the diet is just 7 days long and ensures rapid weight loss, there is a greater chance that you will stick to the diet.
- Health Benefits: The GM diet is low in sugar and fat, and high in carbohydrates and fiber. This helps to reduce the cholesterol levels in the blood3. Following this diet can help to reduce the risk of hypertension, diabetes and obesity.
Disadvantages of the GM Diet
- Diet Very Low in Macros: The GM diet plan is high in fiber, but low in carbohydrates, proteins and fats, which lead to quick loss including water, fat and muscle loss. During the 7 days of the diet, the muscle tissues do not get adequate amounts of protein which is the basic building block of the body and this leads to muscle weakness and muscle loss4. You could have problems such as hair loss and dull skin too.
- Diet Does Not Recommend Exercise: The GM diet does not recommend exercise as part of the diet plan. A good diet plan is always one that not only recommends healthy eating, but one that includes a regular exercise regime as part of the plan.
- Loss of Muscle Mass: When the body does not get its protein requirements from the food that you eat, it begins to break down the muscle for its energy needs. You will begin to lose your muscle mass5 very quickly which in turn causes your metabolism to slow down. And when metabolism slows down, you will gain weight rapidly.
- Tiredness and Fatigue: The GM diet recommends a reduced carbohydrate intake. Carbohydrates are the main source of fuel for the body and give it energy to carry out daily activities. If the body does not get sufficient carbohydrates, you will feel very fatigued and get tired very easily.
- Weight Gain: When following the GM diet, your metabolism may slow down due to the limited amounts of food eaten, and you may gain weight when on the diet. To combat this, ensure you eat frequently (at least 6 small meals a day).
- Limitations and Restrictions: There are too many limitations, restrictions and guidelines that make the diet quite difficult to follow and sustain in the long run.
- Following the GM diet can cause general weakness and muscle loss as meat, whole grains, dairy products, seafood and proteins are eliminated from the diet. These foods are nutritious and good for overall health.
- You may experience muscle aches and pains, headaches, excessive thirst, irritability, cramps, dizziness, weakness and feel tired in the first 2-3 days of the diet.
- The many restrictions placed on the food that can be consumed during the diet and elimination of various food groups could cause malnutrition.
Common Myths and Misconceptions of the GM Diet
Only Water Weight Is Lost When on This Diet.
That’s not really true. While major of your weight loss is because of water weight, since you will be consuming reduced calories while on the diet, you will also lose some body fat. The GM diet is ideal to jump-start your metabolism in the short term and is not a long term solution to weight loss.
The GM Diet Can Be Followed Continuously.
The GM diet is a catalyst to make you eat better and adopt a healthier diet plan. It is not a continuous lifestyle. Once you finish one cycle of 7 days of the diet, you should ideally take a week or two off before you begin the diet again. Honestly, though, if you can willingly follow this diet for more than a week at a time, you deserve some kind of medal!
However, during your off time, you should eat nutritious and healthy, vitamin and mineral rich foods. By this you will replenish all the necessary substances lost while on the GM diet.
You Cannot Repeat the Diet More Than Once.
There is no restriction on the minimum or maximum number of cycles of the GM diet. The only thing to keep in mind is that between two cycles, you must give a rest period of at least one or two weeks before you begin the next cycle of the diet.
You Can Eat Anything After the Diet Cycle.
You have worked very hard to lose weight by following the GM diet, and to ensure that you continue losing weight or at least maintain the weight loss, you must not return to your old eating habits. Following a healthy, balanced diet plan along with a regular exercise routine will help you maintain the weight loss and keep it off long-term.
You Can Drink Coffee or Tea While on the Diet.
You cannot drink coffee or tea when following the GM diet. You may consume herbal or green tea. Remember not to use sugar or any artificial sweetener.
You Can Drink Honey and Lemon Water in the Morning During the GM Diet.
You can drink lemon water on an empty stomach when on the GM diet. However, you must not use sugar or honey to sweeten the water. While honey is very healthy, it adds a lot of calories, which you do not require when on the diet.
You Can Drink Alcohol When on the GM Diet.
Yes, we know. This one broke our hearts too. After all, rare are the memorable moments in life without the company of your “Buds” and “Mr.Daniels”! However, no pain, no gain, which means you must absolutely not drink alcohol when on the GM diet. Comforting though a drink may be, it is full of empty calories and does not add any nutritional value to your diet. And hard as it may be to accept, alcohol hardly does you any good, so it is advised that you do not drink alcohol even after you complete the diet to stay healthy longer.
You Can Use Oil to Cook Your Vegetables and Meat.
When on the diet, you cannot use any oil when cooking meat or vegetables. In fact the GM diet restricts the use of any oil during the 7 days.
You Cannot Add Salt, Pepper or Other Spices to the Food.
You can use salt, pepper and other spices to season your food as you will be drinking a lot of water while on the diet and most of the minerals are flushed out. However, you must not use excessive amounts of salt in your food.
You Can Eat Dry Fruits or Nuts When You Are Hungry When on the GM Diet.
The GM diet does not allow consumption of dry fruits and nuts as they are nutrient-rich and high energy foods that you do not need when on the GM diet. However, they are healthy snacks and can be eaten during the off time after the 7 days of the diet cycle, in small quantities.
You Can Eat Wheat Bread, Cereal, Etc. While on the GM Diet.
You cannot eat cereals, wheat bread, etc. when on the GM diet as they contain gluten and the GM diet is a gluten-free diet. Any gluten-rich food is bad for your health and may cause weight gain and other health problems. If your regular diet comprises gluten-rich foods, then you will not be able to sustain the weight loss after you complete the diet regimen.
Variants of the GM Diet
The GM diet was initially developed to be unique. However, with the increasing popularity of the diet and many people turning vegetarian, there is a vegetarian version of the diet too.
There are two versions of the GM Diet:
- Original GM Diet Plan
- Vegetarian GM Diet Plan
Original GM Diet Plan
- On Day 1 you can eat any fruit except bananas and drink plenty of water.
- On Day 2, you can eat as much vegetables (raw or cooked) as you wish. You can have one baked potato.
- On Day 3, you can eat a combination of fruits and vegetables, except bananas and potatoes. Your body will start burning excess fat on this day.
- On Day 4 you can eat around 8 bananas and drink around 3 glasses of milk. You can have the GM Wonder soup too on this day.
- On Day 5, you will eat tomatoes (6 tomatoes) and beef (two 10 oz portions). The beef will provide you with the required iron and protein and tomatoes provide the fiber required for digestion.
- On Day 6, you will eat beef but no tomatoes and replace the tomatoes with other vegetables of your liking.
- On Day 7 you will eat brown rice, fresh fruit juice and unlimited quantity of vegetables.
Vegetarian GM Diet Plan
The vegetarian version of the GM diet includes consuming fruits, vegetables and starches and drinking plenty of water (8-10 glasses) in a day. The water improves the body’s metabolic rate and gives you extra energy. It also helps to flush out the toxins from the body.
The vegetarian diet plan follows the same meal plan for the first four days as the original version of the diet. On Day 5, the beef consumed in the original diet plan is replaced in the vegetarian diet by brown rice, legumes, cottage cheese, etc., foods that are rich in protein.
Also, to prepare for the vegetarian GM diet, it is important that you do not consume alcohol for a few days before or during the diet regimen as alcohol increases the body’s uric acid content which leads to water retention and hinders the detoxification process.
- Day 1 is the fruit only day, where you will be eating only fruits. You can eat fruits such as oranges, pomegranates, lime, watermelon, melons, strawberries and apples and avoid bananas as they are very high in potassium and carbs. You can eat fruits up to 20 times a day.
- On Day 2, you will be eating only raw or boiled vegetables. You could begin with a baked potato, which will give you enough energy for the entire day. However, you must restrict yourself to eating only one potato. You may add basil or oregano seasoning to add flavor to your vegetables. This day provides the required fiber and nutrients to the body and is a no-calorie day.
- On Day 3, you will eat a combination of fruits and veggies that you have been eating on days 1 and 2. You must avoid eating bananas and potatoes.
- On Day 4 you can eat up to 6 bananas and drink 4 glasses of milk. You can also have the nutritious GM Wonder soup.
- Day 5 provides the body with the necessary proteins. On this day, you will substitute beef with rice or legumes. The foods that you can eat on day 5 are protein-rich and include brown rice or legumes, tomatoes, sprouts, cottage cheese, soya chunks, etc. You can eat up to 6 tomatoes and this will provide fiber and aid in digestion. You should drink more water on this day which will help to flush out the toxins from your body.
- On Day 6 you can eat brown rice or legumes, sprouts, cottage cheese and any other vegetables except tomatoes. You can have soup and you must drink plenty of water. The vegetables provide your body with the necessary vitamins and fiber.
- On the final Day 7, you can eat 2 cups of brown rice or legumes, or whole-wheat flat bread. You can also have fresh fruit juice and eat any vegetables of your choice. Drink plenty of water too. This day will leave you feeling light and happy as you would have lost at least 10 lbs by following the diet plan.
Who Is It For?
If you are looking for a quick way to lose weight and shed those extra pounds, then the GM diet is what you are looking for. And let’s be honest, who isn’t looking for a short cut these days? But rather than just being a fad diet that’s ineffective, the GM diet is actually a great way to detox and become healthy. By following the diet, you will not only lose weight, end up with a glowing and youthful complexion due to the detoxification process.
The GM plan is also beneficial for people suffering from digestive ailments such as constipation as the diet plan includes foods containing plenty of fiber and the diet also recommends drinking plenty of water which helps to regularize bowel movement and also get rid of the body wastes and toxins6
Following the GM diet not only helps to make you healthy and fit, it can also help to keep diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, hypertension, obesity, etc. at bay.
Who Is It Not For?
The GM diet is highly restrictive and is not recommended for growing children or pregnant or nursing mothers who require diets that are highly nutritional (really, we shouldn’t have to explain this one!).
The diet is not recommended for people suffering from heart problems, hypertension, arthritis and diabetes as these people require well-balanced diets and the GM diet does not fulfil their dietary requirements.
The Final Word
We have always heard from our elders that “health is wealth” and rightly so! Losing weight in a healthy way can be quite a challenging proposition, especially given the lifestyles we subject ourselves to these days.
The 7-day weight loss plan prescribed by GM recommends eating fruits and vegetables and restricted amounts of meat and chicken. The diet is high in fiber and low in carbohydrates, proteins and fats. While the diet may be quite restrictive and difficult to follow, it is a quick-paced one and guarantees weight loss of up to 10-17 lbs after just one week.
The GM diet is a wonderful “detox diet” that not only purifies your body, but also helps you attain a positive frame of mind. Shakira wasn’t kidding when she famously said that “hips don’t lie”, and with this diet, your hips can be a testament to just how fit you are. At the end of the week, you will not only look slimmer with a flatter belly, but also have higher energy levels and gain gorgeous and glowing skin. And let’s face it, who doesn’t want that?